Monday, January 18, 2010

Book 8 - Doomed Queens

January 18, 2010 ~ Doomed Queens. Sounds cheerful, doesn't it? I am kidding of course. Historical non-fiction has always been of interest to me but I prefer it in "chunks" - small digestible morsels that I can handle without my brain aching and me saying, "This is not for a test, this is for enjoyment! Why am I torturing myself?" Sometimes historical non-fiction can be boring or monotonous. When I first perused this book, I quickly discovered Kris Waldherrell did not write your average stuffy, old history book.

Doomed Queens at Amazon

January 19, 2010 ~ The first thing I fell in love with in this book is the art direction. It is beautiful! From the delectable liner pages and lettrines, to the gorgeous illustrations and fun graphics. Then the text blew me away. It is so entertaining. Each doomed royal lady has her story told with wicked wit and a cautionary moral at the end. Cleopatra's states, "Choose your allies well, or they will come back to bite you in the asp." Diana Spencer's cautions, "Stay away from men with cameras and Camillas." I can't wait for more...Doomed Kings? Kris? Please! 5 of 5 stars. This book was a riot and I feel ready for this potential Jeopardy category too.

3 comments:

  1. I am not only getting in to more reading, but I am learning more about blogging with this process (as I have been a staunch anti-blogger for ever...)

    Not that I am stealing from your layout, but I would like to preview the book cover along with my blog entry. Are you using a certain template or is that hand-coded HTML?

    - BSB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bryan, I'm loving this process too...read and blog, read and blog. I am much more productive than I thought I would be. Since I've never blogged before, this is all new for me.

    As for the pictures, I found that you are allowed to use Amazon.com imagaes as long as you also provide a link to the book. I have been saving the image to my computer and uploading it in the blog. When you add or edit your blog, you can use the "insert image" icon near the "Link" icon. It looks like a little photo.

    At first I thought I would have to use html and, if you would prefer that,here is a website I found. http://digilib.weblog.ub.rug.nl/node/48

    ReplyDelete
  3. After you upload the photo, you can move it by click and drag. blogspot is awesome!

    ReplyDelete