Friday, January 1, 2010

Book 1 - Pride and Prejudice and Zombies


January 1, 2010 ~ Yes, I am attempting to read 100 books in 2010 and I'm pretty excited about it. My first book will be Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith because I am feeling a little cheeky. So far I am quite diverted.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies at Amazon.com

January 2, 2010 ~ It is a truth universally acknowledged that a book of great admiration must be in want of a parody. Well, Pride and Prejudice has one in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. The original is easily one of my favorite books and I pretty much idolize Jane Austen so I was nervous about this particular take on such a classic. Also, I have been greatly disappointed by other Pride and Prejudice continuations or remakes however, this one is so wacky, so different, so bizarre, I just had to read it. With the original Pride and Prejudice comprising about three-quarters of the story, it was an easy and comfortable read. Comfortable, that is, until zombies (unmentionables) attack and the Bennett girls show their proficiency with blade and gun. I enjoyed the altered fate of the odious Mr. Collins but not so much the deceitful Mr. Wickham (I wonder why that is?). The battle between Lizzy and Lady Catherine was a highlight too.

After reading for awhile the zombie mayhem got a little old and I was a little annoyed but not enough to put the book down. If you hold Pride and Prejudice sacred or if you are a die-hard zombie movie enthusiast you may not enjoy this book. It is probably too altered for the former and not enough for the latter. I give it 3 of 5 stars for sheer audacity and a few laugh out loud moments.

I doubt I will be reading "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Zombie Jim: Mark Twain's Classic with Crazy Zombie Goodness" OR "Mansfield Park and Mummies: Monster Mayhem, Matrimony, Ancient Curses, True Love, and Other Dire Delights", but I have already purchased "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters". Lord help me.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the 100+ Reading Challenge. This is going to be a fun reading year.

    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Pride, Prejudice & Zombies when it was first released and had much the same reaction (if you're interested you can check out my review). And I was really looking forward to it, too! While there were some clever bits - referring to the zombies as "unmentionables" was brilliant - the author truly lost me when I found out that Lady Catherine was the leader of a group of ninjas. A little to all over the place for my tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ J. Kaye - Thanks for the push to read more. You're the best!

    @ booksexy - You are SO right, the Lady Catherine of the original could NEVER be the extreme fighter of this book. That was lame. But because of the character's rudeness, selfishness, and petulance - she deserved a butt-kicking. It was a bit of a chuckle to read.

    ReplyDelete